Thursday, January 28, 2010

Reel Fun!

As soon as I saw this Bait Shop Die from the Camping/Outdoors Cottage Cutz release, I couldn't wait to get my hands on it. It looks so much like our boat house at the lake. In order to make it even more authentic, I swapped the door and the window so that they were in the same places that they are on our actual boat house.

I have so many pictures of my girls fishing off the dock with Granddaddy (my Dad). But that is such a big part of the fun of going to the lake house that I just can't help but get the camera out every time! Now....these pictures were taken when my oldest daughter (now 7) was only about 3 years old. (See I told you I was going to be better about digging back into my picture files!!) You have to look closely at each picture to see the little fish that she has caught, but he is there.



In order to create my Bait Shop, I started with a light grey paper to match the wood planks in my pictures. Then I used my Copic markers to add some shading and detail. I also colored some of the smaller, detail shapes with the Copic markers because it lets me get a nice weathered look that is more difficult to achieve with colored cardstock alone.

This Bait Shop Shape is so versatile and could so easily be turned into a little rustic hunting cabin or even a tool shed. Plus I love all of the "extra" shapes I get with this die like the paddles and the cooler that can be used as embellishments on other projects and in combination with other dies.

4 comments:

Rochelle said...

This is so adorable, Ruth Ellen! I love the little bait shop and the sweet pictures of your daughter with her tiny fish! Too cute for words! You really made the bait shop look amazing with all of your shading and coloring! Great layout! :O)

Txangel528 said...

What a great job! love what you did to the bait shop!

annb said...

Great layout!!!! The bait shop looks amazing. I like how you changed the bait shop around to look just like your boat house. So cute. The stitching on the page is great touch.

CreatedbyKay said...

Talk about a perfect die for these pics! It looks so cute on your LO and I love the stitching and your title is cute too!