Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Birdfeeder, with Bitz n' Pieces


I was working a project with the Cottage Cutz Birdcage Die, when I realized the birdcage in its early stages looked like a bird feeder, so this is were the following project came from. I cut the Birdcage out twice, that way I could add dimension or prospective to the Bird feeder giving the
look of all sides, but I needed to glue the backside of the cage upside down. and slightly to the right. Now I had all eight columns. Than filled the area in the base with a scrap of paper and glued seed beads in the bird feeder for bird seed. I than cut the roof over again in silver to get roof panels and a silver spike on top. I used Glossy Accents on the silver to give a glassy surface. Added a green strip under the spike and added a green contrast on the feeder. I used the Cottage Cutz 2x2 Flourish Die and cut two pieces (snipped one side off each) and created a mirror scroll on the base of the feeder. The pole is 3/8" x 6 1/2" strip of card stock.

To add the tree branches that are inner twined in the feeder pole I cut four branches from the Cottage Cutz Bird's Nest Die. This is a great die when you need to create branches or vines on a project. I used three of the branches as is. . . weaving around the pole and cut one branch up to add branches where I thought I need a little addition. The die also has a few leaves, that I added here and there.


I had a friend drop in while I was working on the branches and they commented about having to glue all those leaves back onto the branches and I said, NO WAY. I am working backwards. So, I thought I might need to explain. . .Cut the branch out of Brown and Green, cut the brown leaves off the brown and glue the brown branch onto the green branch . Than it saves you from gluing all the leaves . **Added Note this is also great for fall, you can create a fall branch with rust and gold leaves and a few leaves that have fallen . . .

I added lots of birds feeding, The Birds were from the same Cottage Cutz Birdcage Die, I just added color to the backs of the birds with blue ink. I could have also added flowers to the branches, if I wanted more color. The total height of the completed bird feeder was almost 10" . This makes a nice sidebar to a album page. At the base add a small oval piece of paper, glue seed beads. . . . you know how much seed gets kicked out of a bird feeder!!!!




6 comments:

Kate said...

Wow! This is spectacular! Just gorgeous!!

CreatedbyKay said...

Beautiful and so clever too!

Ruth Ellen said...

Very pretty!! I love how you added the branches!

Shar said...

How clever is this! Well done, Barry.

Court said...

This is great! Nice job and I thought you glued all the leaves on too! ;) Thanks for explaining!

Lorie said...

WOW! This is beautiful, and I love the tip about the branches and leaves. That's a keeper!!!